Creating an organizational chart in Microsoft Office is very simple. It has a specialized feature that enables users to graphically represent the management structure of an organization, such as department managers and non-management workers within a company. Below steps show you how to do just that.
- Click Insert >> Illustrations >> SmartArt
On the Insert tab, in the Illustrations group, click the SmartArt icon.
A Smart Graphic gallery Appears.
- Click on the Hierarchy category and choose the Organizational Chart Layout
- Press OK to insert chart
- Add more boxes/shapes
Before you fill in your text, it is nice to have all the shapes ready for best results. So always make sure you add more boxes. To add a shape:
- Click the box next to which you want to add the new box
- Go to the Design tab under the SmartArt Tools, in the Create Graphic category; click Add Shape.
- To insert a box at the same level as the selected box but after it, click Add Shape After.
- To insert a box at the same level as the selected box but before it, click Add Shape Before.
- To insert a box one level above the selected box, click Add Shape Above. The new box takes the position of the selected box, and the selected box and all of the boxes directly below it are each demoted one level.
- To insert a box one level below the selected box, click Add Shape Below. The new box is added after the other box at the same level.
- To add an assistant box, click Add Assistant.
The assistant box is added above the other boxes at the same level in the SmartArt graphic, but it is displayed in the Text pane after the other boxes at the same level.
Add Assistant is available only for organization chart layouts. It is not available for hierarchy layouts, such as Hierarchy.
- Now enter your text
You can enter text by just clicking in the box, and start keying in your text.
Designing your Organizational Chart
Change a solid line to a dotted line
To show a dotted-line reporting relationship between two boxes, change the style of the line between the two boxes.
- Click the SmartArt graphic whose line you want to change.
- Right-click the line, and then click Format Shape on the shortcut menu.
- Click Line Style, and then click the Dash type that you want.
You can also change the layout of your organizational chart by placing your mouse on the layouts to see which one you prefer.
For any Questions or suggestions, please comment it below.